Thursday, March 12, 2009

Quote: Chapter 10 (page 82)

"The way he says the word home has a certain tinge; it's the way he would say it in Bangla, that means this place that is my family's, that only invited guests may enter." I thought this was an interesting quote. They try so hard to fit in and when they state it like that, it makes you wonder what they mean. I think that when she says that it has a certain 'twinge' then that means it doesn't feel quite right. Even though they have their house and they live peacefully in it, they still don't exist here. This isn't their property to call their own truly. It's like staying at another house or place for a while. You can call it your own for privacy reasons like 'get out of my room' or 'I'm going to my room' but it is never really yours.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Deep, Carolyn. I agree with you, it's debatable what the twinge implies. They could not feel at home, or that they don't want outsiders in their house. Nice blog.

    ReplyDelete